DIY Spa Day
Now that you’ve set your 2017 mindfulness goals, it’s time to get serious about your self-care routine, and having a DIY spa day is the perfect excuse to pamper yourself! If you don’t have time to regularly have a designated “spa day,” try choosing a couple of these at-home treatments on a routine basis to balance both your mind and body.
Set the Mood
In order to get the most out of your DIY spa experience, you need to set the appropriate mood. Begin by creating the ambiance that you need to facilitate a calm environment. Silence your phone, turn on your favorite mellow tunes, dim the lights, take some deep breaths and set an intention for the time and space you are carving out for yourself.
8 DIY Spa Day Treatments
1. Yoga or a walk outside with meditation
Give yourself some time to get in your body and move. Oxygenate your brain and muscles by getting your heart pumping a bit. When we get things moving for a little while, we’re better able to create stillness in our minds. Don’t overthink either activity…move, stretch, breathe and simply BE!
2. Body scrub
- Choose a carrier/mixing oil. (Coconut oil, apricot oil, jojoba oil, and/or avocado oil are all wonderful choices.)
- Slowly mix a small amount of oil with ½ cup of sugar in a bowl and mix until creamy. You might be wondering, “Why sugar?” We recommend sugar because it’s less abrasive than salt, and better for people with sensitive or easily-irritated skin.
- Add your favorite essential oil while continuing to stir:
- Lavender – to calm irritated/inflamed skin and melt away stress
- Orange – (antiseptic and anti-inflammatory) to stimulate and awaken the senses
- Peppermint – (antiseptic and antimicrobial) to invigorate the lungs
Use this scrub 1-2 time(s) per week and your skin will be softer and healthier in no time! Especially during these cold and dry winter months.
3. Hair oil treatment
Apply coconut oil to the ends of your hair and gently work it through your hair up to your scalp. Continue to massage your scalp for a few minutes, then wrap your hair up into a shower cap and let the oil do its thing for about 30 minutes. Finish by shampooing and conditioning as usual for silky smooth strands.
4. Dry brushing, then an Epsom salt bath
Dry brushing stimulates healthy lymph drainage, blood circulation and helps shed dead skin cells, resulting in smoother skin. Be sure to choose a body brush with firm bristles. We like this brush, with a long hand to get hard-to-reach places and has a removeable head.
- Starting at the soles of the feet, brush up the legs and towards the heart/chest. Brush each section of skin 9 times. In Chinese medicine, the number 9 is a lucky number (pronounced as Jiu (久) in Chinese means everlasting, longevity and eternality).
- Repeat the same process with the arms, starting with the palms of the hands and brushing up the arm toward the heart.
- Remember to avoid brushing too hard—a healthy pink/rosy glow is normal, but never red!
5. Essential oils on your feet
You can use those same oils from your sugar scrub on the soles of your feet to bring their properties deeper into your system. Breathe deeply, inhaling the oils as you apply lavender, orange and peppermint—one oil at a time—into each foot. Once you are done, put on a pair of socks to keep your feet warm as they absorb the oils’ therapeutic properties.
7. Journal and color
Give each side of your brain an activity to process your world. Writing and coloring can activate both your right and left hemispheres to help us understand and integrate our experiences, transforming what happens around us into food for thought and action. Specifically, writing can help us process our experiences and emotions, while coloring can provide a soothing and calming activity to wind down from the day.
8. Feed your body, feed your soul
Speaking of food, we must nourish our bodies on the inside as well. Have some snacks that are both delicious and nutritious, and make sure you are drinking extra water and herbal tea to stimulate your body’s digestive process. Flush out the old (no pun intended) as you replenish your body, mind and soul.
If we want to live long, healthy lives, it is imperative that we set aside time to nourish ourselves. Creating the time and space to let go of all our other responsibilities and solely focus on ourselves allows us to replenish our well-spring, so that we may return to the world as our best selves.
To continue your self-care regimen, consider adding spa treatments into your routine. While a DIY spa day is a great habit to start, nothing beats a massage or facial from a professionally trained esthetician! Click here to learn more about the services we offer. (Don’t forget that you receive 10% off your purchase when you buy 5 sessions of the same treatment!)