We’ve all been told about the negative effects of stress, but what exactly does it do to our skin? We demonstrate the top 5 ways stress affects skin and how you can remedy it with a DIY face mask.
How Does Stress Affect Skin?
In short, stress affects skin through your sleep, your eating choices/diet, digestion, etc… all of which affects your internal health, which is reflected on the outside—your skin. It also causes hormonal fluctuations and increased oil production, which can lead to:
- Muscle tension in the face, which cause lines/wrinkles
- Skin outbreaks and blemishes
- Dark circles (under eyes)
- Uneven skin texture and complexion (i.e. your glow)
- A reduced ‘sparkle’ in your eyes
Treat Stressed Skin
Whether you’re feeling off balance due to external stressors (work, relationships, finances, etc.) or internal stressors (mental health, hormonal balance, gut health), it’s important to take time for yourself. The perfect place to start is with one of our favorite relaxing and stress-relieving DIY face masks:
Jump into fall with this mildly exfoliating, natural antibacterial and hydrating skin treatment:
- 1 Tbs of pumpkin puree (organic) – a hydrating, powerful superfood with potent antioxidants that help protect skin from free radical damage, such as wrinkles
- 1 Tbs of yogurt (organic plain) – contains lactic acid that gently dissolves dead skin cells, heals blemishes/outbreaks and overall aids in lightening and brightening to diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles
- A pinch of cinnamon – improves blood circulation and is an anti-inflammatory, to improve your overall skin complexion
- A splash of lemon juice – is antibacterial and will help treat any blemishes/outbreaks
Mix in a blender (or food processor) until you have a nice creamy mixture. Apply a thin layer of mask to freshly cleansed skin, making sure to avoid the eye area, and leave on for 5 – 15 minutes. Pumpkin is an active natural enzyme so you might experience a mild tingle. Incorporate this mask into your skin care routine 1-2 times a week—your skin will thank you!
Of course, it’s impossible to cleanse your life of all its stressors, but eating well, sleeping enough and exercising regularly can dramatically help lessen stress, therefore improving your skin. If you’re interested in keeping your skin radiant, talk with a skincare professional about what services would be best for you. Remember that beauty starts from inside and radiates out!